Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Stupid in School

BLAH!!!!! So I'm wondering if anything can start going right. We start school with the French professors expecting us to all be fluent in French. I won't go into whose fault that is but that obviously isn't the case. And even though some of us have a good grasp of the French language, the classes are still fast-paced and full of advanced content. The beginners were expecting to learn French and they sat in classes of full French thoroughly confused and overwhelmed.
So to fix the problem, the beginners are in a seperate class for only two of the seven classes we have-granted the two classes are the two we have twice a week as opposed to the others we have once a week or every other week. So, yes, I'm in the upper level class but I'm one of the weakest. I am not as fluent as some of the others though I understand everything that is said (except by Serb-face who has a horrible accent and slurs like a drunkard).


Second disaster: we were supposed to go the the French prefecture today to get our extended visas (we only have three month visas). Yesterday, however, after class, we were going through our papers with an administrator and were told that since our birth certificates aren't translated there's no point in going. So now we have to figure out how to get them translated! Who knows when were going to get this taken care of. The upside, I got to sleep in and do some laundry (yay jeans that don't fall off my waist!).

My own personal disaster: I went to a France Telecom store Monday during lunch to look into getting internet for my new apartment. So after going through the whole schpiel (?) with the guy, it turns out since I don't have a bank account (well I have the beginnings of one but it can't be finished until we get our visa stuff taken care of) that I can't have a France Telecom account. :'( I just want internet so that when I'm home at night I can chat with people and not be lonely!

Besides those small annoyances, things are going well. I bought a hairdryer for 7 euro that works like a dream. Now all I need is a cheap microwave and tv. OOH, I also bought two power strips for 4ish euro so when we go to cafes together we can all plug in. I know this seems immaterial but you should see the McDonald's at La Defense...it's a nightmare. So, I'm not always negative as you can see.

I don't know if you got down my address but it was taken of the blog site for safety reasons (because of you know who) so if you want to send me love in the form of letters, peanut butter, or money just ask for it and I'll be happy to email it to you!

Also, here's the link for the second album of photos I have on facebook if you didn't catch them before:
http://scarolina.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2098387&l=63520&id=12600427

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Awww, hang in there. I'm sure things will get better soon. I'm expecting the same thing when I get to Waseda. :P

Corinne said...

Peanut butter? Can you not find peanut butter? :) Please do send me your address, I didn't get a chance to see it. Big breaths, the visa stuff will work out (especially if you avoid driving and getting pulled over... that's no fun when the cops don't speak any English, I know by experience!). Love!