Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Riding on a Railroad


Today we went to Brussels! Getting up at 5:30 sucked but it had to be done. I was somewhat pissy right before we left because I was the only student who didn't already have his/her ticket from Josiane because she didn't find me Friday at the forum. I was afraid I wouldn't get to go! Anyway, once we were off, I realized how much I love train rides...you can see the countryside and get where you need to go fast. Of course it was dark most of the way there and the whole way back. As we were arriving, the sun was coming up and it looked really cool with all of the fog. So we got to Brussels and took the metro to the Paris Chamber of Commerce in Brussels. There, we learned a little bit about the EU and its purpose. After that, we hopped the metro again to go the Charlemagne building and learned about the WTO and EU/USA relations. From there, we headed to the European Parliament. We heard a presentation and tour. That room is the most beautiful room in the world. I wish I could work there!







So after a fact-filled morning, we had a long lunch at Il Pasticio (why we ate Italian, I dunno). It was a great little place though! Then we walked through town past the Palais Royal. This beautiful building houses the King's office. Belgium is a kingdom so there is still a royal family. Across the street is the Parc de Bruxelles. It wasn't so great in January but I bet in the spring it's gorgeous!!! We wandered through town to the Grand-Place where town hall is located. This square has the most beautiful architecture in the world. These buildings are fantastic! Then we did the normal touristy stuff.





We found the Mannekin Pis. This is a famous statue of a boy peeing. I bought a magnet :-)

After, we went to the bar Delirium which serves over 2000 beers! It was a cool little place to hang out. I tried a belgian beer called Sara but I just don't like beer! We ended the trip with belgian waffles!!! yummy!!!!!! Though I must admit I prefer crepes.
Josh, Antonia, and me


facebook albums of brussels:
http://scarolina.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2103320&l=81430&id=12600427
and
http://scarolina.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2103325&l=66adb&id=12600427

1 comment:

Christopher said...

2000 beers?!?!?!? Where is this place, I need a map!!!!